Choose a tab below.
Msgr. William J. Teurlings, a pioneer cleric in the Diocese of Lafayette, envisioned a school to service the people of his parish, St. Genevieve. Msgr. Teurlings searched for property to build a high school. He found the land that he wanted but felt the price was too high. However, with advice from trusted friends, he decided to buy the twenty-five plus acreage for $25,000, and the land for Teurlings High School was acquired. Shortly before his death, activity toward the creation of the school accelerated, until the opening of the school and dedication in 1955.
During the years 1955-59, the school grew and expanded its facilities until it had a full four year high school program. With much energy and work, the school was officially accredited by the State Department of Education in 1959.
Over the years, the name of the school has undergone change which reflects, to a large extent, the growing experience of the school itself. Originally, the school was called Father Teurlings High School. The school held this name until 1967, when the name was changed to Teurlings Central High School, as a result of negotiations between St. Genevieve Church and the surrounding church parishes which the school serviced. At some point in the early 1970's however, the school adopted the simple title of Teurlings High School. The title held only briefly until the principal at the time, Sr. Julie McDougall, changed the name to Teurlings Catholic High School.
Sister Myra Banquer, Superintendent of Catholic Schools for the diocese of Lafayette, announced the formation of a tri-parish corporation which would assume ownership of Teurlings Catholic High School in 1991. St. Leo the Great and St. Elizabeth Seton church parishes joined St. Genevieve as members of the corporation. The plan included joining Sts. Leo-Seton Elementary School with St. Genevieve Elementary School as feeder schools creating a strong base of support for Catholic Education on the northside and especially for the high school.
Bishop Edward O’Donnell created in 1999 a multi-parish ownership for Teurlings Catholic High School. In addition to the three current owner parishes and affiliated elementary schools, three new parishes and their respective elementary schools joined the system that was to be Teurlings Catholic. Those parishes and schools include: St. Peter and Carencro Catholic, Immaculate Heart of Mary parish and school, and St. Bernard parish and school.
The opening of St. Genevieve Middle School during the 2002-2003 school year brought an end to the long standing configuration of Teurlings Catholic. Beginning with the 2003-2004 school term, Teurlings Catholic became a traditional high school with grades 9 through 12.
In June 2006, two additional parishes were added to the multi-parish ownership of Teurlings Catholic High School. St. Patrick parish and Our Lady of the Assumption parish were accepted by Father Jody Simoneaux, Chancellor of Teurlings Catholic.
Teurlings Catholic High School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and approved by the Louisiana State Department of Education. The school is affiliated with the National Catholic Educational Association, the National Association of Secondary School Principals, the Association for the Supervision, Curriculum Development and the Louisiana Association of Principals. Athletic teams participate under the auspices of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association.
Teurlings Catholic High School is intensely proud of its 4,340 alumni. One of the school’s greatest assets is the achievement record of its many outstanding graduates. Many of the prominent leaders in the Lafayette area, as well as throughout the country, were among the many students nurtured through their crucial adolescent years at Teurlings Catholic High School.
Msgr. Charles Fortier, who had spearheaded the drive for the new facility, appointed Father Bede Becnel (photo left) first principal. When Teurlings first opened its doors in 1954, its reputation was that of a strict school which stressed fundamentals in education and religion.
Sister Angelle Bell served from 1957 until 1962. Under her leadership, the school expanded grade levels to include a four year high school and was approved by the Department of Education. During those early years the academic standards of the state were met. Activities included Student Council, Library Club, 4-H Club, Girl Scouts, Home Economics Club, City Youth Council, Beta Club, Math Club, Music Appreciation, School Newspaper, and competitive speech. Equipment was purchased and athletic teams competing in football, volleyball, basketball and track were started.
William Michot followed and served from 1963 until 1965. During his brief tenure construction was completed for the gymnasium, administrative offices and two science laboratory classrooms. Intramural's for boys and girls were sponsored by student council and additional athletic teams competing in golf and swimming were started.
Sister Julie McDougall served from 1965 until 1975. Concrete walkways were constructed connecting buildings, the administrative complex was air conditioned, a cooling system was put into place for the classrooms, and the library was refurbished with equipment and furniture.
For the next ten years the school experienced great instability in the administration. Sister Ann Caroline Stromer (May 29, 1920 - March 14, 2010) served one year, 1975-76. Mr. Harry Greig, an interim principal, served the school for three years, 1976-1979. During his administration a guidance department was established with a certified counselor. During these years the Advisory Council broadened its intense search for a permanent principal.
In the fall of 1979 the Advisory Council appointed Mr. Louis Hanemann (died May 21, 2007) principal. During his two years of administration the curriculum was expanded to include psychology, human physiology and music. A plan for improving public relations was put into effect. Brochures of the school were designed and distributed to new students.
In 1981, Mr. George Laird was appointed principal. In his four years, Mr. Laird was instrumental in effecting many changes on campus. New Faculty and Student handbooks were developed, Student/Parent Orientation Nights were introduced prior to the opening of school, and vandalism at the school was reduced by the installation of lights and a hurricane fence constructed around campus. Mr. Laird was instrumental in the planning of the Chapel on the school campus.
In 1985, Mr. Bruce Baudier was selected as principal. The school realized great progress during his twelve year tenure. The chapel was constructed, position of Development Director appointed, honor's classes added, 504 program introduced, Renaissance Program designed, the discipline system modified and the school gained Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (S.A.C.S.) accreditation for the first time. The school constructed the granite sign in front of the school, girls' softball and basketball programs were added, the gym was renovated and the cafeteria expanded. Grandparent’s Day was incorporated, handbooks were updated, one school bus was donated, another purchased, and the uniforms were changed. The Teurlings All Sports Club was established to represent all athletics, the administration utilized a team approach, and the Rebel Academic Backers Club became active. Probably the most noted or remembered change was the Board of Pastors' decision to remove the Rebel Flag as symbolic of Teurlings Catholic.
Since 1997, Mr. Michael Boyer has been the longest tenured principal in Teurlings Catholic history. During his tenure, Teurlings Catholic has experienced unprecedented growth (66%) in student population, facility, and in academic opportunity and athletic accomplishment. Under Mr. Boyer's leadership, facility transformation and modification projects include: a new administrative wing, weight room facility, two new computer labs, library renovation, driveway and parking lot improvements, new gymnasium floor and bleachers, air conditioning of the gymnasium, an outdoor deck, addition of a thirteen-classroom wing, renovation of a five-classroom wing, restoration of the school's free-standing Chapel of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, two new basketball locker rooms, and a new athletic center with weight room, locker room, and coaching offices. Construction of the turf football field and track and the new athletic stadium and complex has been completed, allowing on-site competition for football, soccer, and track and field. A new guidance department building was completed in the summer of 2012. Academic advancements include: dual enrollment classes aligned with three state universities for college credit, Louisiana Virtual School courses, and a continuum of an innovative and challenging college-preparatory curriculum. Campus-wide wireless Internet access and technology provide students with state of the art vehicles of cummunication.